The upper back is usually resistant to pain and injury compared to the lower back. If a person does suffer from upper back pain, it is usually a result of poor posture that occurred long-term or from a significant injury. The best way to treat upper back pain is with the help of a chiropractor, such as us here at Family Healthcare Chiro Ctr in Stafford, VA.
Common Causes of Upper Back Pain
There are common causes and uncommon causes of upper back pain. The most common causes of upper back pain include:
- Poor posture: The muscles in the back can become weak over time in people who live a sedentary lifestyle or sit for long periods of time consistently. The weak muscles will not be able to hold the spine in its normal alignments as before.
- Improper lifting. If you do not keep the spine aligned while you are lifting an object that is heavy, this can result in stress on the upper back.
- Overuse: Doing activities such as painting a ceiling or spending the entire day moving can cause ligament strains, muscle strains, and inflammation in the upper back.
- Collision or accident: Trauma that results from an accident, a fall down the steps or even a sports collision can result in upper back pain by causing injury to the muscles, nerves, ligaments, and spinal bones.
Less common causes of upper back pain include:
- Compression fractures
- Thoracic herniated disc
- Severe spinal deformity
The best treatment for upper back pain is chiropractic care. You can count on our non-invasive, non-addictive, and gentle therapy. Chiropractors can treat your upper back pain by performing adjustments that can reduce joint restrictions and misalignments in the spine. This results in a great reduction in inflammation and an improvement in mobility.
Chiropractic adjustments can provide patients that are suffering from upper back pain with:
- Improved flexibility
- Decreased inflammation
- Reduced discomfort and pain
- Improved range of motion
- Increased strength and muscle tone
We will perform a consultation and give you a comprehensive exam to see if our treatment is right for your condition. Depending on the findings, upper back pain may or may not be combined with other treatments such as massage therapy, and or physical therapy.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor Today
Give us a call here at Family Healthcare Chiro Ctr today to schedule your appointment with us if you are suffering from upper back pain. We are located in Stafford, VA.